Tuesday, August 10

DO YOU HAVE A CASE OF THE I'S?

It seems that we are living in a "me" economy. What's that you ask. It is the, me first, me now, me-me-me mentality. Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with going out and getting your hustle on at all. What I am referring to is how we communicate and interact with other people. A case of the I's.




You know the type of person I am talking about. Someone starts a conversation and begins telling a story about a time that won a free dinner for 2 to a great restaurant in town. Then the I person begins, "I got a free dinner one time," and "I got dinner and a bottle of wine," and "I got served by a master chef," "I, I, I, I, I, I." And so it goes on.

I worked with a lady who had a case of the "I's." I don't think she wanted to dominate the conversation, but inadvertently, she alienated herself from most conversations. In fact, when people talked with her, they made it brief so as not to be drained.

This happens from time to time in business settings. We want the other person to know that we've had great experiences, can tell good stories, and be likable. But when too much emphasis is on "I" and less is focused on "you", the relationship between the two parties dissolves. Would you want to do business with an "I" person?

The next time you find yourself in a setting and one of your stories is perfect for the occasion, hold it in and wait. Because as soon as someone asks you, "what do you think" you are ready to lead the way.

Have you ever encountered an "I" person? What tips can you provide to help these conversations? I would love to hear your thoughts. Post your comments here:

No comments:

Post a Comment