Saturday, July 17

THE FIRST STEP: BEGINNING A WORK IN PROGRESS

Doesn't the first step seem like the farthest, the longest, the most difficult? For me, taking the first step at new challenges and adventures in my life continued to be delayed by a series of what ifs, who knows and until it's perfect scenarios. That was until I read these words at a time when I needed clarity about myself, the authentic me:


"The real thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work on becoming yourself." - Anna Quindlen





This quote inspired me to change the way I looked at myself and my life. I adopted a life motto titled: Work In Progress. Our journey in life is filled with opportunities to learn, grow, and experience success, but not by simple living but rather by living a Work In Progress.


I had several goals which I wanted to obtain but I had always looked for ways to avoid them. My new outlook gave me the freedom to chose the goals and to be happy with working towards achievement rather than working towards completion. This change in mental framework allowed me to see that progress not proclamation was the reason to work hard.


So far I have been focusing on 3 areas for improvement:
1. Health & Fitness: I began a journey to reclaim my physical self. Something that I had not focused on improving and had escaped me. In October 2005, I started a weight-loss plan, and to date I have lost 100 lbs. A major improvement. My goal is to lose about 30 more lbs. which will result in a weight loss of 131 lbs and an opportunity to be highlighted in the Men's Health Magazine Belly Off Club.


2. Education: When I started college some 17 years ago, I had my sights on playing baseball. I was average but not great. I played 2 years for a junior college and eventually gave up the sport. During this time, my studies had not been important. After working hard in the corporate world, I realized that in order to pursue my dreams of teaching and training customer service, employee development, and leadership training, that I needed to "hold" a bachelor degree at minimum. So I enrolled at Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) in the Fall of 2009 and I will be graduating this December 2010. A 17 year Work In Progress. (Master's program will start in 2011- if I add it to the plan.)


3. Professional: My experience in the corporate arena has had it's own share of ups and downs. Success and failure. But what I have learned from all the great experience is that I know what I excel at and what makes me come alive. I have always wanted to teach, train, motivate, create, and inspire. I have several mentors to thank on my journey that have inspired me to reach higher. I started writing everything that came to mind down, on napkins, paper, journal, phone, you name it. An entire collection of thoughts. I starting writing a book which will develop as this journey continues, but I have my sights set and this Work In Progress is ready.


There you have it. Life. You life it as you choose. Your attitude, beliefs, goals, and your journey. I am living mine as a Work In Progress.


Question: Do you feel like life is a Work In Progress to you? What are some of your goals that are important enough to continue despite several attempts? What advice can you give to others who are on the cusp of doing something great?

No comments:

Post a Comment